Sunday, October 14, 2007

Four Year Olds: the Hard and the Easy

Rory at soccer practice in Walnut Creek, CA (Fall 2007)

Things I find hard about four year olds:

1. It’s hard to be a human encyclopedia. They ask tons of questions. And “Why?” accompanies each and every thing you say.

2. It’s hard being the “ok” and “mmhmm” mommy auto response robot. They need a response for everything! Example: Rory has to tell me every time she needs to go potty, and I must give her my “o.k.” before she will go.

3. It’s hard feeling like you need your ears checked because you can’t hear anything above the noise they create.

4. It’s hard hearing the frequent nagging that is coming from your own mouth because they need to be told to do something at least ten times before they’ll actually do it.

5. It’s REALLY hard to wake from a dreamy sleep at 6am to hear, “I need help wiping the poo!”

6. It’s hard to feel the remorse that comes after scolding them for things that they didn’t purposefully do. (Examples: going #1 and/or #2 in their pants and on the floor because they couldn't make it to the potty on time , big spills, etc.)


Things I find easy about four year olds:

1. It’s easy to listen to the tender lullabies they sing to their baby dolls and baby sister.

2. It’s easy to peak in their rooms and watch them acting out parts in their little fantasy worlds.

3. It’s easy to feel their loving little arms wrap around you as they say, “I love you mommy.”

4. It’s easy to proudly watch their delightful sports/dance/music performances and witness your little ones' growing talents.

5. It’s easy to laugh at all the funny and adorable little things they do and say. Example: the other day Rory was flossing (with what appeared to be floss), then brushed her teeth and got in bed. Later, as I was cleaning the bathroom, I found the used floss, which just so happened to be a strand from her pink hula skirt. :)

6. It’s easy to have your little princess give you regular spa treatments: brush your hair, help you put your lip gloss on (and then help herself to some), bejewel your face with her special sparkle star stickers, and give you back rubs and/or scratch your back.


Isabella and Mommy with her dazzling star facial! (Fall 2007)

8 comments:

Danielle said...

What a cute list. I miss little Rory and Izzy. It's hard to believe they're getting so big already.

Unknown said...

Its also hard to get any sleep when your wedged between a snoring 4-year-old, and a 6-month-old with feet she uses as a weapon (due to her special metal braces).

Celia Fae said...

Four years old. An underrated age, to be sure. Was it easier to make the hard list or the easy list?

Loved the floss story. Does your kid really know how to floss herself? Can she teach my big kids?

Becky said...

Celia--It was easier to make the easy list cuz I wrote the hard list first, and by the time I got to the easy list I was on a roll! And Rory only likes to floss because I tell her that she's not old enough to do it by herself. This technique works rather well with her. :)

Anonymous said...

Becky--the "I need help wiping the poo" part was hilarious :) not to mention the hula skirt floss! So CUTE! I love the bejeweled Becky--gorgeous!

amiee said...

Hey those lists were cute! You look fab with your jeweled face, too. I am sure I will have the complete opposite experience by having this BOY instead of a GIRL...how will I survive? I'll have bruises all over my face and footballs in my arms, I suppose :)

Nortorious said...

I floss with my hula skirt all the time. Whatever works.
That soccer picture is adorable -- makes getting her ready every time worth it!

Valerie said...

That about sums it up for me as well!!