Thursday, October 18, 2007

Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate...

"Beauty is Truth, Truth Chocolate" - that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know.
Ode on a Chocolate Urn
John Keats and Peter Mansbach

For those of us not from the bay area, here’s a little bit of history. In 1852, Domingo Ghirardelli established his first chocolate factory in San Francisco. I had felt pleased to live in the bay area already, but now that I know this tidbit of history I am PROUD! I really didn’t know.

About two weeks ago we went with some friends (Nor, Dax and Mimi) to Ghirardelli Square in San Francisco. It was very chocolaty! Now all can share in my true feelings about chocolate. I love it. And who doesn’t? I suppose there are some that don’t (I'll never understand). This is from an article that I recently read that explains everything:

“Now you know why they're called "munchies": Scientists in today's edition of "Nature" magazine think that chocolate, the dusky brown substance of our dreams, harbors a chemical within it that mimics the effects of cannabis. Which is to say, pot, grass, wacky tabacky -- marijuana. You may never look at a brownie the same way again. So when you eat chocolate, your brain gets more or less the same sensations it would get if you were locked in a closet, breathing in the second-hand smoke of a guy nicknamed "Reefer Bob." (John Scalzi)

Ha! This is really true. Now it’s clear why Mormons consume so much chocolate! :)





I know we've all heard it before, but it's important not to forget the HIGHLY POSITIVE ASPECTS OF CHOCOLATE CONSUMPTION (YOU MUST READ THESE REALLY INTERESTING STATISTICS!):

Chocolate consumption has been scientifically linked to longer life. A few pieces of chocolate every month may make your life both sweeter and longer, according to the Harvard School of Public Health. A survey of healthy 65-year-old men revealed that those who ate sweets containing chocolate reportedly lived longer. Surprisingly non-consumers had the highest mortality of all. As with most things in life, moderation seems to be paramount. Chocolate is considered a major source of dietary copper, which is required for a healthy lifestyle. Cocoa and chocolate are also rich in minerals, such as magnesium and iron. Chocolate is a short-term source for energy due to antioxidants and phenolics it contains. This energy source was even utilized by soldiers during heavy combat situations. A 40 gram chocolate bar contains the same amount of phenol as a glass of red wine and can be a positive source of dietary antioxidants. These anti-oxidants have been proven to reduce the risk of developing cancer or heart disease.

“Hickory, chicory, choc, the mousse was in the wok, the brownies rose, the ice cream froze, Hickory chicory choc.”
Nursery Rhyme and Peter Mansbach

7 comments:

Sally said...

I love chocolate too! There is a chocolate factory in Berkeley called scharffenberger, you can take a little tour (I mean little) and sample some chocolate. They make uber-gourmet chocolate, some of it is a little fancy for me, but I do love me some chocolate.

Give me a box of See's and I can tell you what each one is without having to bite into it. Quite a talent.

Paige said...

It's are darn shame that there are so many ugly pictures of Nori floating around on the net right now, because she's actually cute.

Anonymous said...

Um, it's good to know that my after school chocolate snacking habits are healthy. Chocolate is so delightful, I can't even say enough about it. Sign me up for some ice cream & choc. chip cookies too! Any research that says any of those things are good for you???...

Nortorious said...

Paige, I know, UGLY! It's just not fair. Nice double chin. Clearly too much chocolate.
I need Sally's help with See's. I eat bad ones all the time, have to spit them out, wipe them off, stick em back together and put them back in the box.

amiee said...

Hey thanks for the fun chocolate statistics! I have actually been to Ghiradelli Square a million years ago! Oh, and I swear by their semi sweet chocolate chips for any cookies, etc. THEY ARE THE BEST choc chips I've ever had.

Danielle said...

Becky, your chocolate eating doesn't seem to be affecting your post-baby body, because you look very pretty! I miss you!

Unknown said...

I am glad the word is finally out, my wife loves chocolate. And I love to watch her eat it. OOPS did I just write out loud.