Saturday, September 29, 2007

Girls and Boys



Last night Rory's friends Owen and Aven came over to play. Their parents went to a football game and also left their baby girl Vila with us. While Glen and I were taking care of Vila and Isabella, the other kids were playing (unsupervised, as you can see) in Rory's room. Glen went to check on them and they had all put Rory's princess dresses on. Luckily the boys' parents didn't care that we let them play dress-ups. It's totally normal and natural for little boys to want to play with girl stuff, but in this day and age people are a little more cautious. This reminded me of the time when Seth, Rory's cousin, wanted to dress up in one of her princess costumes and Rory said, "you're not a princess, you're a boy." And Seth heatedly replied (yelled), "I am a princess!" I couldn't stop laughing. Ashley told me a story about Joseph when he was little. Whenever she would paint her nails, Joseph would want her to paint his too--he must have been about 2 or 3 years old at this time. After a couple times of Ashley painting his nails, Leslie (his mom) made him take it off and explained that nail polish is only for girls. He was in tears and wailed, "Girls are sooo lucky!" Well it's true, girls are so lucky. We get to spend so much time (that we don't have) painting our nails and faces, shaving legs and underarms, and fixing our hair. How fun! I'm speaking for myself when I say that I would much rather be able to jump in the shower, jump out, run my hands through my hair and come out looking hot without having to do all that other stuff! But I will say, we do get to wear very pretty clothes (clothes that remind some of us that we've carried and born children). Wait, maybe I'd rather wear loose pants and baggy t-shirts. Boys are sooo lucky!

4 comments:

Nortorious said...

One time I tricked my nephew into wearing nail polish by calling it "wizard paint." He wore it to the first day of school and it was scarring.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! Those little boys crack me up. Rory is such a little doll, I love her.

Yes, I remember vividly Joseph's fit over not being able to wear nail polish. He was saying "Girls get to do everything fun!" It was hilarious.

granny rose said...

This is quite an impressive little harem! Rory takes after my sister Judy (her great aunt) with her toothy, silly smiles...just loves the camera, doesn't she?! Well, she should, 'cause she's a doll.

Becky said...

I couldn't remember exactly what Joseph said, but "Girls are so lucky" is pretty close to "Girls get to do everything fun!" Sooo funny! Joseph was a cute little kid.